Friday, January 07, 2005

Are Evangelists Serious?

K.P. Yohannon of Gospel for Asia, which plants churches in those areas hardest hit by the disaster, says the tragedy should cause Christians around the world to re-evaluate their evangelistic efforts. "When I heard [about the tsunami disaster], the first thing that hit me so hard was that the Lord's coming is very near -- and we will hear of more things like this all over the world because the time is running out," Yohannon says. "Secondly ... we don't recognize half of the world never heard that Jesus ever came into the world to forgive sins." That, he says, constitutes "an incredible challenge, a desperate cry for us to not lose any more opportunities [to share the gospel], but to be unselfish in our praying and our giving to touch a world that never heard Jesus' name."

Pete's Points

I normally don't comment on religious matters because I am of the view that people should be able to believe and think what they want. I start to draw the line whenever I encounter people who would like to ram their beliefs down the throats of others.

As if the poor people in Asia did not have enough problems!

In the past when I saw an individual sitting on a set of steps with a sign stating: "The End of the World is Nigh!" I thought - what a nut job!

These days it seems that this sentiment is becoming the catch cry of a whole group of people on the Christian right who are proposing that the end of days is coming and that their followers will be the only ones who will float up to heaven and be resurrected while all those who do not believe in their version of reality will be consigned elsewhere.I know that from their perspective they are only doing their Christian duty in trying to assist everyone else to 'see the light' but in our society today I think this is a violation of people's rights.

If we have adopted laws against spammers because they violate our rights to privacy then I think we should also create some laws to prevent people from trying to sell their unwanted and unasked for religious views.

What do you think?

No comments: