Saturday, October 08, 2005

I am BACK!

For those of you who have missed my seemingly daily musings on the Internet all I can say is "too bad, so sad" all of us have to take a holiday sometime and mine just take a little longer so that I can linger and savour the fact that I do NOT have to touch a key board for some time.

I have not as yet had the opportunity to catch up on the news except of course to report to you all that I had a really BAD time in France - especially at the lovely spot called Castillon le Battaile. Why this name? Well it is the place where the English suffered their final defeat in the 100 years war at the hands of the French. So when flying an Australian flag outside the camper van all people could do was to look at the portion that contained the union jack and laugh! That was the French.

The English visitors (and insultingly some of the Welsh!) would saunter over, grin a cheeky grin and tell us that the Australians were getting slaughtered in the cricket.

Not feeling very well disposed to these braggarts I am afraid that I suggested to them with a considerable degree of conviction in my voice and tone that the owner of the series had been having a really bad return on investment following 17 YEARS of defeat of the English by the Australians and so had decided to create some interest and regain some profitability by having the lads throw the match (for a bonus of course) so that he could make some more money!

None of this is true of course but at least those of the English fans who could see that I was flying an Australian and not a New Zealand flag got what they deserved! I mean fancy getting all hot and bothered about ONE win in 18 years AND at the spot where they lost the final battle of the 100 years war!

No comments: