Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Aussie Victory

I suspect that for most people in Australia there was simply no way in which "Boston Legal" could compete with the first outing by the Australian Socceroos in their match against Japan.

Certainly this was the case here in my home. After the first goal scored by Japan (which I have to say I still think was due to a poor decision by the referee) it was almost painful to watch the Australian team until the last ten minutes of the game. In my case it was actually painful, but for reasons unassociated with the match.

The last 8 minutes were almost literally heart stopping. My partner kept making little cries of surprise and joy as each Australian goal registered. She had once again woken after telling me that she simply had to get some sleep so as to be able to function in the morning. No hope of that I am afraid once Cahill nailed that first goal.

I have been watching the matches of the other countries and have to say that I am pleasantly surprised and delighted by the level of skill, talent and determination of the members of the team. Frankly my mind went back to the 1950s when I first arrived in Australia and to the memories of the under 16 school boy's team where I participated in the schoolboy championships with my school. I kept thinking of the ridicule that I and others like me suffered because we were the people who played the Wog game and were not interested in learning rugby union or league. I am glad that we persisted.

Memories are nice - but these new ones are even nicer.

I was at my very best an insignificant even mediocre soccer player. However, I enjoyed the training and the games I played in. Watching those with real talent is a complete buzz. I still recall as one of the best memories of my life as a small child, kicking a goal against the then world champion goalie, Grosz, on Margaret Island in Budapest in the 1950's. It was a put up job of course, but what a sense of purpose and accomplishment it gave me. Coming to Australia only fostered that sense and enabled me to participate in however a limited way in a sport that I am delighted to say I have always enjoyed.

Half a century - amazing!

Congratulations socceroos - congratulations Guus and above all congratulations to all those people who have devoted a lifetime of effort to bring this game into Australia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Terrific - I agree. My only complaint is that I am currently a World Cup widow! Normal communications and timetables have gone out of the window along with some people's body clocks. Good thing it is only once every four years ;-) ! Kathleen