Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Check it out!

There are numerous sites around the world that people can turn to when they want to find information on the Web.

If there is one message that needs to be heeded by anyone and everyone it is that the Internet presents a yellow light to all traffic. Caution is what is represented by this signal. Caution and careful consideration of the sources and the reliability of the information which is being provided.

If you are asking why on earth I would wish to provide this comment today of all days then I have tell you that it stems from a letter I received this morning from a very well meaning stranger.

Having apparently read my blog contents about Oesophageal cancer and one person's journey with this illness, this person was kind enough to let me know that I appear to have overlooked a whole raft of information relating to non mainstream treatments and modalities. He then went on to provide, what I am certain was well intended assistance, in the form of links to various sites and the titles of books written about a whole host of different remedies for cancer.

Naturally, being well disposed to anyone who may actually read my blogs and get some value from them, not to mention someone who wants to help, I immediately replied to the commentator with my thanks for their concern and with even more thanks for the information.

I then went on to suggest that it was NOT because I was negligent that nothing much about alternative treatment modalities had been published on my sites. The truth of the matter is, I explained, that I have not actually seen any EVIDENCE of the success or otherwise of the various remedies that had been suggested. More to the point not one of the treatments suggested actually dealt with the sort of cancer which interests me!

I was of course aware of the fact that there were claims that were being made, I was aware of the fact that drug companies and indeed perhaps the entire medical establishment could have such a stake in the current treatments that are available that they actively resist any findings that suggest something new and NOT within their control could possibly work. I was also aware that some drug companies had been accused of actually faking some of their research and that others had hidden information about what they have found in the course of their research to
try and ensure that they sold sufficient quantities of their drugs to at least recoup their investments in research. None of this however has meant that I was totally convinced by any conspiracy theory that everyone involved had no interest in finding something new and more useful.

I was also concerned that my correspondent had not asked one of the more fundamental questions in his letter to me - namely - whether what's good for one cancer will actually work with another and more to the point whether what works for one human being will work the same way for any other.

Being I hope a rational person, I will investigate the links with which I have been provided. I will then consider what the information has to offer and also consider how accurate and reliable the information provided is and then finally whether the information is applicable to my personal situation.

When I have done all that - then I may actually take action on the results.

I guess what I am trying to say to everyone out there is really simple. Even if you have a life threatening illness (and I have) and even if there are offers of certain cures and better ways of doing something - neither rush to believe nor disbelieve.

CHECK IT OUT FIRST!

No comments: