Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Book Review - "Devices and Desires" - P. D. James

Yet another in the popular series of books which have been featured in a TV series involving Commander Adam Dalgleish of New Scotland Yard. Set on an imaginary headland of the north east coast of Norfolk it is as one would expect a story about murder most foul and involves a nuclear power station, and terrorists. It is a book of our time although written in 1989.

I must confess that I find the pace of the book somewhat slower than I am comfortable with and so this is, at least for me, not the "page turner" that I have discovered with other authors. Nevertheless it is well written and even if it does not keep you on the edge of your seat at all times it does manage to suck you into the plot and keep you guessing from one chapter to the next about who is doing what to whom and why.

This is the sort of book I like to have with me on holidays. It is something I can read when the time is right and that I can leave on the bedside table when I have more interesting things to do. Published by the Penguin group it is of course available in any good second hand book shop.

No comments: