Saturday, March 18, 2006

I am glad I am older

Recently, a reader called "thesocialworker' posted the following comment to my Blog:
Thanks to the intergenerational transmission of wealth, a lot of the time our lives are handed down to us on a silver platter. Hell I'm going to inherit at least 3 houses. And I'm certainly not going to have a shitty life full of 'hard work' (my friends and I have a running joke about the 'honest days work' nonsense; we take the piss in other words) because someone's who's had to 'slog it out' their whole life thinks I should follow in their footsteps. Looks like you older folks shouldn't have worked so hard.
Pete's Points:

If you are the parent or relative of this young person perhaps you should think carefully about what you do with your money and possessions.

Talk about "Great Expectations"

If I were one of his parents I would rather leave my stuff to a charity and then enjoy looking either down or up (depending on where I go eventually) and have a belly laugh as he stands in a queue waiting for a hand out.

Then I would say "cop that you lazy sod!"

2 comments:

thesocialworker said...

When my father sees this post, he's going to kill me.

thesocialworker said...

But why would someone with a high level of education, large inheritance and desire to achieve either want to be or have to work as a baker like you seem to think they should.

The way I interpret it, you're basically saying "if you don't start from rock bottom you're underserving".