Sunday, March 19, 2006

I hate getting into a net argument!

Once again thesocialworker has commented.
When my father sees this post, he's going to kill me.
But why would someone with a high level of education, large inheritance and desire to achieve either want to be or have to work as a baker like you seem to think they should.

The way I interpret it, you're basically saying "if you don't start from rock bottom you're undeserving".
I am not suggesting that anyone has to be a baker.

What I am suggesting is that anyone who is receiving the dole and has the opportunity to obtain work should get on with it and stop sponging on society!

Just because your PARENTS are wealthy should not mean that you should not have to start and earn your way in life. It certainly does not mean you should sponge off other people as if they owe you a living.

Just so we do not misunderstand one another.

I AM advocating that everyone SHOULD start from the bottom! It is the only way to learn your job properly. I don't give a rat's whiskers how impressive your degrees, or your claims to intelligence simply starting at the bottom means that you learn the job from the ground up and actually appreciate the hard work that is done by colleagues who will NOT be able to move from the starting position.

Unless you understand each of the layers in the business you become arrogant and potentially lacking in any insight into how others feel and how hard their jobs are. If you reach this state of being then you end up being one of those people in the world who frankly do not deserve anything!

I am not suggesting that people should stay at the bottom. If they work hard and they make a contribution then they should be rewarded for their efforts. Let me emphasise what I just said "for their efforts" not the efforts of others.

I am afraid I am one of those who believe that NO one is owed a living and that no one deserves either a free ride or a free lunch.

I am really hostile to people who think that because their parents or relatives worked hard they can live the life of luxury and contribute nothing to society besides their own selfishness!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pete

I could not agree more! I think that all managers should spend at least some time at the coal face and get to really understand the stresses and frustrations that come with jobs. There seems to be this attitude out there in both business and government that management is a generic skill and that you can just transfer these skills from one industry to another without knowing the first thing about the people or the issues that you are managing.

I would also like to say that I have enjoyed dropping in on your blog from time to time. I have also just started my own social work related blog called adventuresinsocialwork.wordpress.com.au. Would like to have your thoughts on my posting some time.