Thursday, September 28, 2006

Whenever I look out over my garden I am reminded that it is spring here in Australia. The daylight hours are increasing, the weather is becoming more pleasant, the bees are buzzing around, the flowers have either come or gone and buds as well as the beginnings of fruit on the trees are starting to make themselves known

Oh what a horror it is when you hear on the news that over 1/3rd of the stone fruit crop in Victoria has been hit by frost and has finally packed it in!

Oh what joy it is to realise that it does not matter.

"Does not matter?" you say. "Why is this so?"

Once upon a time I was a boy scout and the motto of being prepared has stood me in good stead ever since.

We have an apricot tree, a plum tree and my outlaws have a peach tree.

The fruit, will ripen on the tree and so actually have some flavour and some colour.

If you have ever managed to sink your teeth into a ripe apricot or a peach off the tree rather than a store bought one, you will appreciate what I am talking about.

Try growing your own and put the flavour back into fruit and so encourage your children to enjoy their fresh fruit.

No comments: