Tuesday, September 12, 2006

"You can either calm down or I can pop you in the mouth again"

I have come across a little presentation from what is claimed to be Southpark and I have created the link to this little item
Slapping the KIDS?

I would like to suggest that people view the little WMV file and then think about the recent spate of commentary on the news about whether we should slap children as part of our parenting process.

Lest someone is going to be offended - let me make it clear that the clip, entitled ADHDCURE.WMV shows one of the Characters on Southpark a teacher, with three out of control kids in the background. The teacher then provides some corporal punishment to two of them and the third suddenly becomes - well let's say "more reasonable".

I am not advocating corporal punishment. For that matter I am not advocating not using corporal punishment. I guess the matter should be left to parents to decide.

What I am suggesting in reference to this cartoon however is that children do need to learn what is and what is not acceptable behaviour when they 'act out'. How people deal with it is up to them I guess.

All I can say from a personal perspective is that a good clip around the nether regions never did me any harm (of course I was well padded as a kid) and certainly did help to bring home to me what was and what was not acceptable behaviour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree if you pop you kid in the mouth or not, is not the issue. The issue is children should be taught what is and what is not appropriate behavior. It is better to be pop’d in the mouth as a child for acting out than thrown in jail as an adult. If you have not learned proper behavior before you reach adolescence you will never learn it.