Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Vagaries of Petrol Prices

Yesterday I was happily driving to the mall and in passing the petrol station with discount fuel I noticed that the price was set at $1.12 per litre provided you had a shopping voucher. With this at home I resolved to get the fuel the next day - namely today.

Lo and behold when I went out less than a half day later the fuel had suddenly risen in price to $1.20 per litre. Thus in the space of less than half a day the price of this fuel has risen by 8 cents per litre.

I checked with the oil market figures and I found to my surprise and horror that the actual cost of the stuff that we import has gone DOWN in price.

So what is the difference between Wednesday and Thursday? Why nothing much - it's just that this Thursday is a PAY DAY for most people, so the gas stations have decided to cash in and make as much money as possible!

Personally I think that is not only disgusting it is exploitation of the very worst kind.

I will still have to have fuel in my car but I can assure my readers that I will make some more interesting decisions about WHEN I buy my fuel in the future - It will always be on a Wednesday that is just in front of a pay day.

The more people who read this and check out whether what I am saying is repeated in their neighbourhoods as well the more who are likely to stop being exploited by the greedy service station owners.

Let's all get together and learn to play the game OUR way and not give in to the games that are being played with our finances by what I believe to be unscrupulous operators.

No comments: