Friday, December 19, 2008

Dragon speaking naturally preferred

It is now several days since I acquired a copy of Dragon Speaking Naturally Preferred, Version 10. Setting up this new program has been a breeze, or at least far easier than it used to be when I first tried dictating programs like this one some years ago. What is really nice about this version is that it adds the ability to mimic or at least emulate an Australian accent and the user is provided with an Australian dictionary.

I have been trying to use it in various ways with various programs that I own, and it works in some more easily than it does in others. To my amazement I have found that within the program there are two items about which I was ignorant when I started. One is called dictation box, while the other is called Dragon pad. Dictation box is more like a simple text emulator while Dragon pad is more like a word processing program that is limited in size and scope. I have found that outside of what is available within the program a very old version of Lotus Word Pro and post-it notes text block seem to work best of all.

Not being a supporter of Microsoft products I'm unable to use the obvious interplay between Nuance and Microsoft. I have found that the program does not like to work inside of Google or Open Office environments. What I have found delicious is that the dictation program within Dragon speaking actually has a 'transfer' function. In other words once you have dictated what it is that you want to say and you have open, your blog for example, the program actually transfers your dictated text into your blog without you having to lift a finger. No more control - C and Control - V, just a voice command 'transfer', how good is that?

Obviously it will take many more days before I feel comfortable with the program and before it feels comfortable with me. Let me end this particular post on this note, all of this was published using the program and took just minutes rather than the time it would have taken had I typed it with one hand.

No comments: