Saturday, February 12, 2005

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

On the news today there was a discussion about Cristo and his works of 'art'. As most people know these works of 'art' comprise the wrapping of some object or place.

Personally I have never considered the way I wrap a Christmas or a birthday present an 'art' form. Hence I have always been bemused by the attention that this 'artist' receives.

With the work of Michelangelo, or Dali I can make some comments about whether I like it or not, whether it has some aesthetic appeal or not, whether it creates within me some emotional reaction or not.

With Cristo's work all I am able to see is a giant parcel that seems to serve no purpose.

I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

If anyone would care to explain to me what aesthetic value his work has I would be most grateful for the lesson.

No comments: