Thursday, February 10, 2005

"WORK" is a 4 letter word

I was almost ecstatic seeing an older couple (advanced baby boomers) driving their camper van (or are they all now called by their American name "Recreational Veehicle"?) on the road. Their sense of humour was displayed for all to see at the front of the vehicle "BUGGA WORK"

I thought about that for some time.

I guess for many people work is a means to an end. It is way to put food on the table, pay off the mortgage or just the rent, pay for the kids' schooling etc. If you are in this situation then I guess that looking forward to retirement is a big deal. Having survived all the hazards of life including marriage, children, in laws and work you hate you can finally have a life that YOU want to have. Each day filled with all of those things you could not find time for when you were engaged in working for a living.

Then again there are those for whom jobs mean being able to do something each day that you love AND get paid for it! These people I guess are living to work. What they do is fulfilling, enjoyable and creative.

I have always wondered what the statistics are on the ratio between one type of work situation and the other.

I suspect, given the large number of people on the road enjoying retirement that most people fall into the first category. Still it would be interesting to know.

Anyone care to comment on whether his/her life fits into one or the other category?

Speaking for myself I have been extremely fortunate. I started off in Social Work and had working with computers as a hobby. Then, just when I was dreading reaching the age where I would have to confront my mid-life crisis I was offered the opportunity to be paid to do what I had up to then done as a hobby so I could then make my profession into my new hobby.

Since I have always enjoyed both of these interests I fall into the second category.

What about YOU?

2 comments:

thesocialworker said...

Neither. I feel that measuring my feelings of worth/success against something as inadequately satisfying as work is too conservative.

Garpet said...

Gee, I don't think I mentioned the words "worth" or 'success' in my piece.

It is interesting that you chose to interpret what I said in that way.

What I think I said was that I actually ENJOY what I am doing and what I have been doing. For me that means that I gain pleasure from what I do.

I wonder why you feel it necessary to relate that to "worth" or "success"?

My sense of self worth has nothing to do with what I do for a living. Rather it is based on my assessment of the type of human being I think I have become, measured by the way I live my life and interact with others.

My sense of "success" is based on being able to reflect on the frequency with which I have achieved the goals that I set for myself within my life time.