Saturday, April 02, 2005

Shanghai and Global Markets

I was reading the other day about the city of Shanghai in China.

Imagine, if you can, taking the entire population of Australia and placing into ONE city site.

That is Shanghai.

Did you know that China in the last year used up 40% of the world's concrete and over 90% of the world's steel?

I didn't! I know I know I guess that makes me an uneducated git!

What I do know is that I looked at my petrol prices lately and nearly had a seizure, I know I looked at the prices that I am being charged for work on getting things built and nearly had a seizure and I wonder if there is a connection between the high cost of these things and the fact that China is using up a heck of a lot of the world's supply of stuff?

I then ask where they get their money from and I guess I have to admit that most of the things that I own in terms of clothing and indeed a few other things seem to have been made in China

Perhaps I am paying twice. Once for the goods I purchase from China and once for the things I need because they are a scarce commodity because of the Chinese purchases.

Hmm!

Anyone got any ideas?

No comments: