Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Telstra and line noise

Well folks I have had my test with the Telstra people and the advice that they have provided is that my modem is too fast for their line. So since I only rent a phone line for use by a phone and it supports phone calls I cannot complain about the fact that my V92 modem can only operate like a V34 and not drop so many packets of information that the poor modem thinks it is having conniptions and drops the line. At around 25 cents a re-dial and with really slow in and out put this is becoming worse by the day.

BTW for those of you who have similar problems try this test.

Set up a new account in your computer called MOLD the number to contact is 1800637254 and in the set up you should configure your modem by ticking the box for SHOW TERMINAL WINDOW so that you can actually see the results of the test.

Follow the prompts and you too can see how useful Telstra's line quality is in YOUR neighbourhood. Then go out and complain to the government that still owns part of this company that you really would appreciate them rolling out the optical fibre cables that they talked about so much some years ago but which have still not arrived in YOUR neighbourhood.

Slowly I am coming around to the realisation that to obtain an ADSL modem is THE answer for the moment.

Amazingly Telstra have a "sign up now and save the connection fee" offer just now. Also amazingly this problem only seemed to happen AFTER I cancelled my long distance and overseas calls with Telstra and took up an offer from Transact.

Could they possibly be providing a lesser service to me now that I am no longer one of their customers for all the services?

NAH! Just a conspiracy theory that should be put into the dust bin - still . . . it is a remarkable coincidence.

I don't think I will give them the satisfaction of giving in just yet. As someone who started computing in the age when 300 baud was considered fast even 31200 is a lot faster. No pictures of course and no games over the Internet for a while - but I think I will wait until Transact actually gets its wiring out to my suburb and then transfer all of my business to them. That will be my way of getting even.

No comments: