Tuesday, March 29, 2005

And a Final Word about my outage!

Having an outage on your computer is less than "fun". Frankly, it is a pain in the neck.

Every time that you manage to get a lovely "blue screen of death" and the operating system reboots your level of annoyance increases by several notches. Then when it wants to send a comment on what happened to the Microsoft site and of course the problem is that you cannot connect to the Internet without an immediate disconnection - then your level of annoyance increases proportionally with your level of frustration.

Through some judicious use of the monitoring tools on this computer I (think) have found the culprit that has been causing me so much grief. It was NOT the modem, it was NOT the set up of the permissions - it seems to have been a clash between Microsoft and McAffee. A security glitch. That has now been resolved by a simple move to another provider of firewall and virus protection and all seems to be well with the machine again.

Amazing.

I will now manage to get some more RAM into this thing so that it flies again without resorting to paging files and all will be well with the world.

Sorry about all that - I will be returning to more useful and informative commentary by the end of today when my juices have finally calmed down from their current levels.

1 comment:

thesocialworker said...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

Over the phone technical support exists for the sole purpose of answering the "should I press the 'on' button" and "do I have to plug it in" series of questions.